May 15, 2009

Social media marketing according to Seinfeld

I’m fascinated with social media. I love the connections we make with each other, and I love what it’s doing to businesses in every industry.

I’m also a huge Seinfeld fan. Bordering on obsessive. I know virtually everything there is to know about Seinfeld.

So I thought I’d use the greatest television sitcom of all time to help me answer this question: Why are companies around the globe devoting more and more money to social media marketing? Let’s take a look at quotes from two episodes of Seinfeld (courtesy of SeinfeldScripts.com) to see if we can’t shed a little light on our question.

First, from “The Yada Yada”:

Elaine: Guess what? Beth Lookner called me.

Jerry: Ooh, Beth Lookner. Still waitin' out that marriage.

Elaine: What are you talking about? That marriage ended six months ago. She's already remarried.

Jerry: I gotta get on that Internet. I'm late on everything!


Jerry is like any business in our social media world. His frustration represents the frustration of any industry which believes the same formula that worked for businesses in the past will work in this new era of communication. Those who won’t change with the times will constantly find themselves a few steps behind.

Social Media is changing the way businesses communicate—it doesn’t matter if they’re trying to reach a customer, the media or even the government. Social media marketing means embracing a new way of communicating with your stakeholders. It means it’s time to kill off your old antiquated notions of advertising and public relations, and start moving toward true two-way interaction with your publics.

Now, quote number two from “The Butter Shave”:

Kramer: Did you see Bania's set last night? 'Cause I read on the Internet he killed.

Since social media has given us the power to create, humans everywhere are discovering the joy they find in sharing their opinions on the Internet. They meet together and chat, and, as Kramer noted, they’re very good at sharing information.

An increased emphasis on social media marketing means an increased effort to be where your customers are. Millions and millions of people are conversing with each other every single day on the Internet. Many of them are talking about your industry. Some of them are even talking about your products.

Are you going to ignore that conversation?

The era of cold corporations disseminating information to mindless consumers is dead. It’s time go to where the people are and join the conversation. It’s time to listen.

If you’re still not sold, I urge you to visit Technorati.com, Google Blog Search or Twitter Search and type in your company name, your industry or your product. See what I mean? People are talking.

Take it from Jerry. Don’t get left behind.

3 comments:

  1. great post, adam. I often hear business owners say - my customers aren't the type to be on twitter. here's what i say "there is no type!"

    the greatest part about social media is that is everywhere, all the time and seen by everyone. did i mention it's basically free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, i have to expand on my thought.

    when i say there is no type...i also mean that what a company thinks is their customer base is never complete. social media opens the door to a whole new market of customers in any industry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally understand what you're talking about. All you have to do is put it in Seinfeld terms.

    ReplyDelete

 

|